Welcome to Scientific Methods Course: BCB 703
An introduction to research techniques, planning, execution, analyses, and presentation of information.
- Learners have the required skills to plan, execute, analyse and present research material.
- Learners can function as part of a team when doing fieldwork.
- Learners can interpret research data and research literature.
- Learners have the basic skills to write-up research material for submission as a scientific research paper
Stated content as per SAQA
- Introduction to research techniques, instruments, and laboratory and field safety
- Developing a project proposal and planning field research
- Fieldwork, incorporating sampling, identification, and spatial quantification of faunal and floral group
- Classification and statistical analysis of data
- Presentation of data as tables and figures
- Reading and writing skills and interpreting scientific dataPreparation of scientific research for publication
The course will have the following specific topics
- Evolution (Human - this theme will carry right through so as to re-enforce that we are creating(and have in the past) and ecological footprint)
- Philosophy (hypothesis testing)
- Getting information (Library and WWW searches)
- Science writing
- Skills (e.g. preparing a Power Point presentation)
- Making a Web Blog
Assessment (theory section)
- Tests 20%
- Power Point Presentation 30% (indicating getting primary literature)
- Assignments and participation on the Weblog 20% (10% Weblog participation)
- Web Blog 30% (your own personal one for the entire Honours Year!)