Dianah (every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
How can we all prevent breaking the site?
- Keep the messages simple - no fancy fonts
- I use the default settings for font and font size (Tahoma 8 size) in GroupWise - other fonts you can use are Verdana and Arial.
- Why only these fonts? They are the easiest to read on screen and keep fairly small.
- If you cut and past from Word make sure that you use the Edit and Paste Special function to past only unformatted text into the email and do the final edits for Italics in GroupWise.
- Avoid Times Roman at all times - its fine printed, but on the screen it is difficult to read (postings using small Times Roman font be will be removed!). When you use the small Times Roman fonts it extends to making my menus unreadable!
- Do not use extra spaces and indents or tabs these get interpreted in a different way to your Word document.
- Do not use the formatting by numbers or lists
- Make sure each paragraph is followed by two hard-returns
- Do not change the colour of text (e.g. one person composed their message in light green and without closing this formatting made the rest of the site with light green text!)
- Check there is nothing strange in your Signature Files - one person has a signature file font that appears to be 24 pt.
- No Pictures CAN be sent via email.
- Restricting these guilty people to only putting up comments and no new posts? They can still add Bold and Italic formatting
- Have no formatting of the text (italics for species names will not appear this is done by using the text option in GroupWise)
- Marks deduction 20% off for first time, 30% second time etc…
Dr Richard Knight
Co-ordinator: National Information Society Learnerships - Ecological Informatics
Department of Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17
Phone 27 + 21 + 959 3940
Fax 27 + 21 + 959 1237