HANG IN THERE- DISTANCE LEARNING SUPPORT KIT
I have just received an e-mail on a great resource from the University of Queensland called "Hang In There" - Distance Learning Support Kit since you are all registered for a distance-based degree there should be some useful resources and hints. I really urge you to look through this site and please also look at the section on plagiarism - it is quite helpful. University of Queensland is one of the leading providers of distance education. Try the quiz Am I ready for distance study?
Here is an extract from their website describing characteristics of a self-directed learner
- Recognise that learning is a process that is ongoing and lifelong.
- Recognise that learning is an active construction (or building up) of knowledge and understanding, not just memorisation of facts.
- Actively connect new information with prior knowledge and previous experiences.
- Are aware that the learning process requires intention and effort.
- Take responsibility for their learning rather than expecting their teachers to do it for them.
- Understand their preferred learning styles.
- Understand how to self-manage their learning.
- Have a range of strategies they can apply to any learning situation - at work or in their lives generally.
- Think critically about what they are learning.
- Take time out to reflect on and monitor their learning.
- Are confident, independent and prepared to take risks.
- Aren't afraid to ask questions and seek help when they need it.
The URL is http://www.uq.edu.au/hanginthere/
Here are the deatail of one of the developers/
Lecturer in Higher Education
Teaching & Education Development Institute
The University of Queensland
Ph: +61 7 3365 9035